Re: Colors and... nano or native pager??

On 2007-09-16, promulgato@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I use it from console most of the time and tried a couple of color
> combinations, but the bright colors coupled with the traditional
> black background get to fatigue my eyes very quickly.
> My preference would be a white/light gray background and not-too-
> bright colors that are easy on the eyes.
> I do not know enough to create my own, so can someone suggest
> where some good code to that extent for my .muttrc can be found?

The color settings in your .muttrc allow you to choose from the
palette provided by your terminal program.  That is, for example,
you can choose the terminal's red, the terminal's blue or the
terminal's brightred, but if you want a different shade of red
you'll have to change the color(s) used by the terminal and that is
typically done in ~/.Xdefaults, if you're using an X terminal.

> Also, I am debating whether to keep nano as editor (which makes it
> much easier for me at this time) or force myself to revert to
> the editor/pager that comes with Mutt and force myself to use that
> instead from the very start... Advantages/disadvantages of using
> an external editor?

I don't know what you mean by mutt's "editor/pager".  Mutt uses:

   o  a line editor for editing the command line, which is built-in;
   o  a pager, which can be built-in or external;
   o  a line editor for editing messages in mailx mode, which is
      built-in;
   o  a text editor for editing messages in any other mode, which is
      external.

Other than when in mailx mode, and I doubt you're using that, mutt
has no internal text editor.  It always uses an external editor for
editing messages and defaults to using $EDITOR, $VISUAL or vi.  So
your choices are nano or some other external editor.  If you're
happy using nano, keep using it.

I'd recommend using mutt's internal pager.  It has all the features
you need for reading e-mail and you can execute mutt commands while
in the pager, which you can't do from an external pager.

HTH,
Gary