Re: compose with mutt on a remote server

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:30:12PM +0200, mess-mate wrote:

> Well..no.
> I've a remote machine were i keep all the email's for all the users
> (virtual).
> From my desktop i connect with courier-imap to the remote server and
> access my mailboxes with mutt. This works very well for reading but
> when i compose or reply to a message my own send-hooks, signature
> etc.. (~/.mutt) of my desktop no longer works.

OK.  Since mutt runs on your desktop, it will read the ~/.mutt file(s)
from your desktop machine.  Copy them over.

And since mutt runs on your desktop, it uses the mailer there.  By
default, mutt invokes sendmail, so you need to configure that to send
mail properly.  Alternatively, you could install msmtp and tell mutt to
use it, and tell msmtp how to send mail.  (Using msmtp is what I do.)
Or you could use the smtp client feature of mutt and configure the
correct smtp server in mutt.  (I've never done this.)

Kai