Re: Mutt + Mailinglists

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 06:32:32PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday, August 12 at 08:53 PM, quoth Mark Sansome:
> > With Mutt I use esmtp as my sendmail client. Is it possible that
> > either Mutt or esmtp is configured incorrectly and may be offending
> > users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's delicate sensibilities?
>
> Well, according to your headers, you appear to be using an invalid
> HELO string to your smtp server, and that triggers a spamassassin
> rule. It's not worth many points, but... <shrug>

Ahhh... That's interesting. I presume that means the problem lies with esmtp?

I know that makes it off-topic for this list, but can anyone give me any
pointers as to where to start. Essentially I have an "out-of-the-box"
implementation of esmtp. The only configuration of any kind that I have given
it is to put the name of my ISP's smtp server into ~/.esmtprc.

A quick look at the esmtp man page and its website revealed this:
" Esmtp supports sendmail envelope sender -f flag, and you are advised to
always enable it by adding the following line to Mutt configuration file:

set envelope_from=yes "

I notice that I had that line in my ~/.muttrc but have at some stage in the
past commented it out - I can't remember why.

Should I re-activate it?

The man esmtprc page states this:

" helo
    Set the hostname to identify as when sending HELO or EHLO commands. (This
is a per identity option, as it should be the name you are seen as from the
connected host, which may very with host to host due to NAT or different naming
schemes)."

I'm afraid I don't understand this very well, but I have tried adding a line to
make it similar to the successful posts (from Evolution). This is my first post
with it set so let's see if it helps...

Thanks again...

Mark