GPG: ID has undefined validity?

When I send PGP-encrypted e-mail using mutt to certain
certain recipients, it takes me a selection menu to choose
a particular key.  In some cases there is only a single
choice.  Once selected, mutt issues the following
diagnostic: "ID has undefined validity", and asks if
I want to continue (with "no" as the default).  After I
confirm, it sends the e-mail out without problems.

What do I need to do to get mutt to just use the keys
I have on hand and to not be so picky?  And what do I
need to tell GPG so that it will raise the trust level
on these keys?  Or how do I determine their "validity"?

Also, I notice that if I for example enter a recpient
name that is mispelled, that it will take me to the
key selection screen -- but I couldn't find a way
of telling it to stop looking, and to take me back
to the "compose" window.  The best that I came up
with is control-c, which aborts the mutt session
entirely, and deletes my new mail message.  Is there
a more elegant way to have handled this?

--
Gary Funck