Re: 1.5.16 build issues on BSD

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:17:03PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 06:24:08PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > I'm trying to build mutt 1.5.16 on a BSD system (it's not mine, it's
> > my hosting provider, Gradwell.Net).
> >
> > uname -a gives:-
> >     FreeBSD newred.gradwell.net 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #1
> [...]
> >     pattern.o: In function `mutt_which_case':
> >     /home/isbd/build/mutt-1.5.16/pattern.c:150: undefined reference to
> > `iswalpha'
> >     /home/isbd/build/mutt-1.5.16/pattern.c:150: undefined reference to
> > `iswupper'
> >     *** Error code 1
>
> These functions are used for manipulating "wide" characters, which
> usually means non-latin characters.  You could try configuring mutt
> with --disable-nls.

Yes, I assumed/guessed that these functions were to do with extended
characters of some sort.  However --disable-nls doesn't fix the error.

>                      If that doesn't work, you'll either need to check
> the BSD ports, or find replacements for these functions somewhere, and
> hack the build system or some Mutt code (maybe util.c) to include them.

I did go and look at the download links to BSD ports but, to be quite
honest, they made little sense to me.  I.e. I got to:-

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=mutt&stype=name

... but then didn't really know what to do.  There's a download link
to a .tgz file but not being a FreeBSD person I haven't a clue what to
do with that file and I don't even know whether it will install
non-root.

I think building from source is likely to be more productive.

> > Can anyone suggest how to get around this problem, don't say upgrade
> > the OS as I said it's not mine so that's not a possibility.
>
> You might be able to get your hosting provider to do it.  It's
> Likely to fix the problem, and likely to fix other problems...

I'll ask on the Gradwell newsgroups, I know quite a few Gradwell
customers use mutt and it may be that someone has built/installed
1.5.x already.

--
Chris Green