Re: Multiple Sorting Methods?

* chris.corsair@xxxxxxxxx <chris.corsair@xxxxxxxxx> [06-16-07 12:26]:
> Damn I thought sort_aux is only used when `sort' is threads.  Thanks
> Michael.  And one more question: what if I still want threading when
> `sort' and `sort_aux' is set as above?

Its time for you to use the very fine documentation provided with the
mutt distribution.  ie:

3.283. sort

   Type: sort order
   Default: date

   Specifies how to sort messages in the index menu. Valid values are:

   date or date-sent
   date-received
   from
   mailbox-order (unsorted)
   score
   size
   spam
   subject
   threads

   You may optionally use the reverse- prefix to specify reverse
   sorting order (example: set sort=reverse-date-sent).

3.285. sort_aux

   Type: sort order
   Default: date

   When sorting by threads, this variable controls how threads are
   sorted in relation to other threads, and how the branches of the
   thread trees are sorted. This can be set to any value that `$sort''
   can, except threads (in that case, mutt will just use date-sent).
   You can also specify the last- prefix in addition to the reverse-
   prefix, but last- must come after reverse-. The last- prefix causes
   messages to be sorted against its siblings by which has the last
   descendant, using the rest of sort_aux as an ordering. For
   instance, set sort_aux=last- date-received would mean that if a new
   message is received in a thread, that thread becomes the last one
   displayed (or the first, if you have set sort=reverse-threads.)
   Note: For reversed `$sort'' order $sort_aux is reversed again
   (which is not the right thing to do, but kept to not break any
   existing configuration setting).