trouble sending with 1.5.16

I'm confused here. I built 1.5.16 in order to try out the new built-in smtp support. So I used --enable-smtp. I can't send any mail now, and while trying to get things to work I've noticed the following:

1. When I use smtp_url=smtp://server.com:587, then mutt won't send mail and tells me "SMTP session failed: blah blah No AUTH command has been given".

2. When I add a letter and switch to smtp_url=smtps://server.com:587, mutt won't send mail and tells me "SSL failed: error: blah:SSL routines:blah:unknown protocol".

3. Adding my username to the smtp_url does not help.

4. I thought maybe I needed to specify an authentication method, but the variable 'smtp_authenticators' is not recognized (!) by 1.5.16; it gives me an "unknown variable" error when it tries to read that from my muttrc.

Anybody know what's going on? I checked the wiki and the docs, but to no avail. For the record, my old version of mutt is 1.5.12, and I used msmtp without a hitch.

Thanks,
GMN