Not seeing new mail at all - BSD system

I am migrating my main mail reading activity from a Linux system (this
one) to a BSD one.

So I have copied across my muttrc file and a few other rlated bits and
pieces and I'm testing mutt on the new (to me) system.

Mail is arriving as expected and getting delivered (by the same Perl
script as I was using on the Linux system) to various mailing list
mailboxes etc.

However mutt is not telling me at all when new mail arrives.  Is there
anything odd/special about BSD systems regarding mutt being able to
see new mail?

This is mutt 1.4i by the way.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx)