Re: Setting timezone to local timezone

On 2007-01-29, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, January 29 at 09:03 AM, quoth Stuart McKim:

> > I know that technically the date is correct, but for somebody using
> > an e-mail client that does not automatically convert dates to the
> > local time, such as mutt, it would be nice to show the local time of
> > the sender.

> For DISPLAY of already sent messages, mutt DOES convert the date to
> local time for display in the *index* (it even respects your LC_TIME
> setting), but does NOT convert the date to local time for display when
> viewing the message. As before, when it does convert things, it relies
> on the TZ environment variable.
>
> When you view the message, mutt does very little to obfuscate the
> headers as they appeared in the message. In some cases, it decodes
> them to the correct charset, and removes quotes where appropriate, but
> the rest is essentially unmodified from exactly what was sent.
>
> You could change that yourself by creating a display filter. For
> example:
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>     # save the message to a file
>     cat - > /tmp/timezoneconvert.$$
>     # extract the date header
>     thedate=$( awk '/^Date: / && !i { $1="" ; print $0 ; i=1}' )
>     # convert to the current timezone (defined by TZ)
>     thedate=$( date -d "$thedate" )
>     # output the modified message
>     awk "{ if (/^Date: /) print \"Date: $thedate\"; else print $0; }" \
>         </tmp/timezoneconvert.$$
>     # clean up
>     rm /tmp/timezoneconvert.$$

You can also see the local time at which the message was sent by
setting the 'pager_format' variable, e.g., from my muttrc,

    set pager_format="%4C %Z %[!%b %e at %I:%M %p]  %.20n  %s"
                                # This format is arranged more
                                # like the index_format and
                                # includes the local time at
                                # which the message was sent.
                                # Default: "-%Z- %C/%m: %-20.20n   %s"

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division