Re: OT: advanced mailbox protocols

* On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 Charles Killian (ckillian@xxxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > >* (full text) searching
> >
> > IMAP does this one. Mutt supports it as well; search for '=b text'
>
> This is a great tip!  Can you point me to where in the docs this is
> located? Does '=h text' work for header searching as well?

Section 4.2

"You can force mutt to treat EXPR as a simple string instead of a
regular expression by using = instead of ~ in the pattern name. For
example, =b *.* will find all messages that contain the literal string
'*.*'. Simple string matches are less powerful than regular expressions
but can be considerably faster. This is especially true for IMAP
folders, because string matches can be performed on the server instead
of by fetching every message. IMAP treats =h specially: it must be of
the form "header: substring" and will not partially match header names.
The substring part may be omitted if you simply wish to find messages
containing a particular header without regard to its value."

HTH,

Michael
--
BOFH excuse #43: