How do I make certain folders read-only

Dear list,

I'm trying to get rid of a small annoyance.

I have a huge =spam/ folder.  Sometimes I browse it to check for false
positives, otherwise it's nothing more than a spam bucket.

The problem is that I need to remember to open it with ESC c, or hit %
after I've opened it, otherwise on exit Mutt spends *minutes* flagging
the messages I have opened as read.

At first I thought I could make a simple folder-hook, something like:

        folder-hook ""       "unset read_only"
        folder-hook "=spam/" "set read_only"

Turns out read_only is not what I'm trying to do.  It apparently affects
the folders opened _after_ its value is set.

% itself, or toggle-write, is useless in a hook, because I can't test
for the current state (can I?)

Any idea?

Toby

--
Signed/encrypted mail welcome.  GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0x15C5C2EA