simulating "Aborted unmodified message" condition

I was wondering if there's an easy way to simulate the condition for
"Aborted unmodified message" within a shell or perl script.

I have a perl script that I use for moderating a mailman list (something
like: http://veggiechinese.net/mutt_mailman_approve.txt), and I want to
be able to

(from send.c)
if (mtime == st.st_mtime && !msg->content->next &&
     query_quadoption (OPT_ABORT, _("Abort unmodified message?"))

Simply removing the message-file doesn't seem to work...

Any good examples that do something similar, or gentle pointers in the
right direction would be appreciated.

I'm thinking that just writing a patch for mutt might be easier, since
the macro approach is less than graceful if the macro fails in the
middle. There isn't any way to make the whole macro process fail if one
component exits, is there?