Re: Searching in the index is not documented

On 17Aug2006 16:16, patrick shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| * cga2000 <cga2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-17-06 16:03]:
| > I started using mutt about the same time and my feeling is that the
| > mutt manual is a better than average "Reference Guide". I can't think
| > of a better wording but what would have helped me tremendously -- and
| > still would.. is a "User Guide".
|
| With the documentation that mutt has, probably one of the best in
| linux, the best 'User Guide' is experimentation. [...]

I know this doesn't solve the Users' Guide problem, but I have found
that a quite effective way to get a simple overall feel for something
like a mailer or window manager or other very configurable tool with,
essentially, a single config file is to make myself a config file
containing a setting for _every_ available setting according to my
initial idea of what I want.

This:
  - makes everything explicit in the config file, easy to find later
  - makes me read the description for every setting

I don't need to memorise it all, but it means I've _seen_ it all. It's
surprising how useful that is later.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743