Re: Multiple same signatures

On 2006-08-24, Jason Helfman <jhelfman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:28:40PM -0700, Gary Johnson thus spake:
> >>
> >> I tried to set it up like this
> >>
> >> set editor='vim + -c "set textwidth=72" -c "set wrap" -c "set nocp" -c
> >> "?^$" -c "g/.\+-- $/normal d}"'
> >>
> >> But then I get this error:
> >>
> >> "/tmp/mutt-scrub-341-11767-3" 131 lines, 4794 characters
> >> E486: Pattern not found: .\+-- $
> >>
> >> I am using Vim 7.0.2 and Mutt 1.5.7i

> > I don't know why you're getting that error unless the message to which
> > you're replying doesn't contain any quoted sigdashes.  I copied your
> > "set editor" line into my mutt exactly as you have it above (on one
> > line, of course) and replied to your message.  You can see for yourself
> > that it works--I have not edited anything above this paragraph.
> >
> > If you want to ignore that message, change the command to
> >
> >    -c "silent!g/.\+-- $/normal d}"'

> I just tried this and was able to do exactly as it states, removing
> signatures. Very nice.
>
> However, it slams my insert at the bottom of the email. Is there anyway
> to have my editor place me at the top of the page?

Patrick has a good point:  top-posting is frowned upon in most
mailing lists, including if not especially this one.  But even if
you bottom-post, you may want to start trimming replies from the
top, so, to move the cursor back to the top of the buffer, just
append

    -c 1

to the end of the vim arguments.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division