Maildir directory structure, subfolders (comparison with KMail).

I've been using KMail for a few years and am now trying out mutt,
which has correctly detected ~/Mail/ but which doesn't see the
subfolders.

KMail graphically shows me folders and subfolders such as these:

|--misc
|  |-- linux
|  `-- lists

which it actually stores in the filesystem this way:

Mail/misc/
|-- cur      <-- mails directly in the misc folder
|-- new
`-- tmp

Mail/.misc.directory
|-- linux
|   |-- cur  <-- mails in the misc/linux folder
|   |-- new
|   `-- tmp
`-- lists
    |-- cur  <-- mails in the misc/lists folder
    |-- new
    `-- tmp

There are also some files that KMail uses:
  Mail/.misc.index
  Mail/.misc.index.ids
  Mail/.misc.index.sorted

When I run mutt, it doesn't see the folders whose directories start
with a ".".  I think it's possible to change the
  File mask: !^\.[^.]
setting, but would this screw other things up?

Should I just run KMail and move the subfolders out to the main level
before carrying on with mutt?

Does mutt support subfolders?

--
Thanks,