Re: Reading mail from CLI with Mutt

Hello Carl,

If you have a good understanding of the IMAP protocol then you
can use any (ssl)Telnet clients which support batchmode.

Which mean, you can pipe comands (LIST, GET, ...) from your
shell script into telnet and the it returns what you want.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

Am 2006-08-02 16:59:17, schrieb Carl Klatsky:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been in search of an email client the can send/receive emails
> using only the CLI, so I can easily hook into it from Perl or Expect
> scripts.  It seems like Mutt may fit the bill, but I cannot seem to read
> from the CLI only.  I have sSMTP setup to send mail, but for reading
> mail I only have IMAP access to our mail server.  I have Mutt running
> and both send & receive from inside the character-graphic application
> screens.  I can also send an e-mail directly from the shell with a
> command like:
>
> mutt -s "Test Results" my_team_alias < test_results.txt
>
> Now my question is can I read a received e-mail from the shell without
> launching into the character-graphics app?  I am trying to parse for a
> specific message to trigger a script to start.  Maybe there's a whole
> different way to do this, but I thought Mutt might solve both my sending
> and receiving needs.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)