Threading forwarded messages

I would like forwarded messages to appear threaded with the original
message.  I keep all parts of a thread in the same folder, not
separating for sent/received.  When I forward an email to someone
else, I want it to appear threaded below the received email I
forwarded.  I guess mutt doesn't set in-reply-to or references in this
case (should it?), and the subject doesn't match reply_regexp, which
doesn't include fwd: or the default mutt forward format [%a: %s].

Any suggestions?  I know I can manually join the threads, but it seems
like this should be doable automatically, at least for messages I
forward, or which contain simplistic changes to the subject like fwd:.

Thanks
-Chip

--
====