Re: Any way to assign mutt timezone?

On 31May2006 04:37, Byspel <by_spel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:49:42AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
| > Right.  So, to fix things, you set your clock to the correct
| > time in GMT.  If you want your system to deal with time zones
| > (which includes displaying the correct local time to you),
| > install the time zone package.
|
| I just did set my clock to GMT time as a temporary solution.

Good.

| > > I'd like to find a way to make the necessary corrections
| > > without installing the timezone package for my OS.
| >
| > This is not worth bothering.  Sorry.
|
| Sorry you feel that way. The way I see it - and I am the first
| one to admit my own ignorance - is as a challenge, something
| that allows me to learn about things such as this by playing
| with it.

I just think nobody has explained clearly what happens.

The timezone package (called "tzdata" for my RedHat/Fedora systems) is a
set of data tables that map the $TZ (or fallback system time zone value)
eg "Sydney/AUstralia" for me, into a time offset from GMT.

Step one for any UNIX system is to ensure that the system clock is set
to the correct GMT time. Internally, and on the disc filesystems, that
is what is used.

Step two is to specify what local time zone you wish to work in.

For _display_ purposes i.e. in "ls" listings, in mail headers, in the
output of the "date" command, all these call library routines that
take the $TZ setting and look up the timezone data. That obtains an
offset from GMT to your local time. This arithmetic is then done, and
your correct local time displayed to you.

Also, in this way different users may have different local times displayed
to them. For example, if I sshed into your machine I could set $TZ
to Sydney/Australia and have your file times displayed to me in _my_
local time!

So: you do need the "timezone package". It really is just the tables of
time zone names to "local time" offsets. It includes things like summer
time and the like.

That's all you are missing - this data. Install it and be happy.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/