[OT] Quick reply of a few items that I couldn't leave unanswered

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:32:43PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

> > > I don't think this argument holds any water.
> >
> > The part you quoted does not contain even a part of an argument.
>
> Yes it does.  The argument you are making is that any benefits of any
> good ideas are outweighed by the frustration of broken setups...

No, Derek. This my conclusion to the argument. It was already stated
by others so I didn't bother repeating it. You can criticise the
premise or the deduction, you *cannot* criticise the conclusion.

> Specifically, this is the PREMISE of your argument,

No; the CONCLUSION.

> > It is a summary of my viewpoint which is based on arguments which
> > have already been presented.
>
> You are using too narrow a definition of "argument."  It has many
> meanings, including:
>
>   3.
>      a. A summary or short statement of the plot or subject of a
>      literary work.
>      b. A topic; a subject: “You and love are still my argument”
>      (Shakespeare).
>
> [American Heritage Dictionary]

Indeed the word "argument" does have many meanings, each of which is
applicable to a *specific* context. What that means is that you can't
just pick whichever one you like! We were -- well some of us --
engaged in a debate -- not a literary discussion.

Go look it up again and check the definition that follows the
italicised word "Logic".

> But this debate is not about the semantics of argumentation...

It wasn't originally, but it seems one might be needed.

> > > As I've already said, I believe if the transition is handled properly,
> > > the impact to users is very nearly zero.
> >
> > But even if the impact is small, it isn't worth even this discussion
> > if there isn't sufficent reward.
>
> You are making subjective judgements.  It may not be worth it TO YOU,
> but there is an objective reward to Mutt which is greater than your
> subjective reward.

Exactly, Derek, which is what I said right from the start. Please,
don't just read posts that you reply to; try also to *understand* what
is written.

I actually went further and said that this was basically a subjective
matter and the way the debate was going, continuing the argument could
potentially prove counterproductive. I therefore suggested that we try
to see if there was a compromise that could make everyone happy.

Is it just me or did this take a turn for the surreal?

> You just don't happen to care about it.

>From my first email on the topic:
  First off, changing the variable names would be a great idea as the
  proposed changes do make a lot of sense

Derek, really. I ...
  ... I have no words.

Martin