Saving keystrokes chaning to dot directories with maildir

Like many maildir users, all of my folders under ~/Maildir are "dot"
folders (to make them properly available to the IMAP server). Changing to
and saving to folders in mutt requires an extra "." before the folder
name, and between folders. One way around this is to point mutt at the
local IMAP server, rather than at ~/Maildir, but this is slower and
prohibitively for text searching large folders. Is there any way to make
the leading dot "invisible" to mutt?

In other words, for my folder ".friends.boston.john" I would like to be
able to access it the way I did with mbox (or through the IMAP server) by
hitting c=friends/boston/john<cr>. Next best would be
c=friends.boston.john<cr>. But I would like to find a way to avoid the
leading dot, and not see it in lists.

Possible?
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel