Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:18:26AM EDT, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, May 11 at 12:56 AM, quoth cga2000:
> > Interestingly, I just had the problem today.. I was asking the slrn
> > mailing list if there was anything I needed to configure for slrn to
> > display non-ascii characters correctly.  I had found one example of
> > an article whose author's first name was Björn something - correctly
> > displayed in mozilla-mail - and in slrn the "ö" was rendered as a
> > vertical rectangle on my display. Now, when the message came back to
> > me from the mailing list, the "ö" was rendered by an "=F6".
>
> ...what's wrong with that? If, as you say, your encoding was set to
> "iso-8859-1", that's the correct quoted-printable encoding for "ö".
> I'm not sure I understand the problem...

Something is indeed very "wrong". My original message did not contain a
capital "A" with what looks like an oblique umlaut on top, followed by
something the looks like a capital P facing left instead of right and
two legs instead of one..! What I had written was the name "Bjoern",
with the "oe" spelled "o" with an umlaut on top.

> > So I thought I should check the encoding that mutt generates just
> > before my messages are sent (I sent a copy of this same message to
> > myself and hit 'v' just before hitting 'y'.. ) and I noticed that
> > the encoding was "text/plain 8-bit iso-8859-1".. So I said to
> > myself.. this can't be right.. this is not "plain text" at least as
> > I understand it.. shouldn't it be "quoted-printable", maybe..?
>
> If you check, this message I'm sending should be sent as text/plain,
> 8-bit, iso-8859-1. Quoted-printable is, officially, "plain" text, even
> though that seems rather odd. Basically, it's "plain" text because it
> is not html and it's not RTF (rich text format).

OK. I hadn't thought of that. I took it to mean ASCII.

> > So I looked for some way I could control this.. and I found a
> > boolean that is not set by default: "encode-from". I'm not sure I
> > understand the explanations in the mutt manual, but I thought I
> > could run the same test and see if it helps.
>
> The $encode_from variable is a workaround for bad mbox parsers (or bad
> mbox writers). In mbox format, all messages begin with a line that
> begins "From ". Many mbox parsers use that to figure out where each
> new message begins. This of course has the problem that sometimes the
> message body can contain a line that begins with that same string. One
> way around this problem is to include a "Content-Length" header or
> something similar in the message header, allowing the mbox
> reader/parser to know to skip X number of bytes before expecting the
> next "From ", but some mbox writers don't add that header, and some
> mbox readers ignore such headers. On the other hand, if you can turn
> "From " in the message body into "=45rom ", all good mail readers will
> decode that quoted-printable transparently, and the message will be
> parsed correctly even by very simple mbox readers. That's what that
> flag does.

Phew..! Thanks for the explanation. As Alain suggests, I probably don't
want to mess with that.

> > I haven't done so yet, but I would like to fix at least this. It is
> > rather annoying to see my *own* messages come back garbled.  Because
> > if they are messed up on my display, I would imagine it increases
> > the probability that they also are for everybody else that receives
> > them.
>
> It doesn't *sound* like your messages are garbled (this one certainly
> isn't). What makes you think they are?

Well see the above. This is just one example of something that's not
right.. I'm getting lots of messages from different mailing lists full
of those "=" + the two hex digits/characters for stuff that mutt (the
way I'm set up) is unable to decode.

No, I think I grossly underestimated the implications of switching to an
UTF-8 locale. Especially doing it when my mail setup is far from stable.
So due to this and a bunch of other issues with applications that don't
play well with UTF-8 such as slrn and elinks, I have switched back to my
original en_US locale.

> > I was looking for something that would have reliable up-to-date info
> > on the subject in one place. One frustrating aspect is that you can
> > end up spending more time looking for bits and pieces of doc and
> > putting them together than actually studying it.
>
> Understood. Unfortunately, public mailing lists may be your best
> option if you're looking for one-stop shopping.

Well this particular one in definitely a great resource.

Thank you very much for your explanations.

cga