POP access: Retrieving just headers from remote server

I am sure most of you are familiar with gmail, Google's e-mail service.  They
allow downloading of mail to one's machine.  I am able to do this just fine.

There are times, however, when I would like to view just headers, and download
only certain messages.  Using configuration information from their web site
(SSL is required, port 995), I tried "pops://pop.gmail.com:995/".  The
following is the conversation:

SSL connection using  TLSv1/SSLv3 (DES-CBC3-SHA)
Command UIDL is not recognized by server.
Closing connect to POP server.

Can anyone help me with this?  Thank you.
--
David Smith
1845 Purdue Ave #3