Re: apostrophes showing as ?

On 06Apr2006 19:42, David Woodfall <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On (14:23 06/04/06), Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> put forth the
proposition:
| > * Christian Ebert <blacktrash@xxxxxxx> [04-06-06 14:04]:
| > > set charset=ISO-8859-1//TRANSLIT
| >
| > yes, this works for me, as does: set charset="//TRANSLIT"

Nifty. But I wonder what it means, precisely?

| > > or, if you want eg. EUR (Euro):
| > > set charset=ISO-8859-15//TRANSLIT
[...]
| It seems I'm spoiled for choice here :) . What I need is to have apostrophes
| and other characters display correctly, including the British ?? (pound)
| and ??? (euro) symbols. I will try out some of the other charset settings,

Then one of the ISO-8859 ones is for you. US-ASCII will definitely break
stuff because is is defined only for codes 0-127 (i.e. the bottom half)
and has no accented characters or other useful European stuff.

| but I quite like the colours of uxterm, which seem a little sharper than
| other terms.

If you ever need to do transparency (I see you were using +tr - no
transparency), you can also try rxvt-unicode (executable is urxvt).
Like uxterm, it is UTF-8 capable and does transparency. I believe you
can fine tune the colours, too, though I have not yet tried that. My
liking for it stems from some minor aterm annoyances and the nifty
hide-the-mouse-cursor when the mouse has been idle for several seconds.

| I've discovered today that my locale is set to en_us and I would prefer it
| to be en_gb, but quite what effect this may have on other things on my
| system I've yet to discover.

en_gb probably works fine; it may only affect dictionaries (if you're
lucky). I've used it from time to time with no obvious ill effects.

One thing to remember about locales (if you're doing them globally via
environment variables, and not just tweaking mutt config file settings) is
that they affect collation, and in modern shells that affects globbing. Eg
in the en_* locales the shell pattern [A-Z]* includes most lowercase
letters as well because the collation runs AaBbCc...Z. I run with these
two environment variables:

        LC_COLLATE=C
        LC_CTYPE=C

which override locale behaviour just for collation and character types.
Come to think of it, LC_CTYPE may be causing my some of my more obscure
charset troubles; try just LC_COLLATE if you care about shell globbing
and ls output ordering being the "old way".

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

'Soup: This is the one that Kawasaki sent out pictures, that looks so beautiful.
Yanagawa: Yes, everybody says it's beautiful - but many problems!
'Soup: But you are not part of the design team, you're just a test rider.
Yanagawa: Yes. I just complain.
- _Akira Yanagawa Sounds Off_ @ www.amasuperbike.com