Re: composing emails

On 2006-02-16, Scott Eberl <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mutt currently is configured to use vim for the editor to compose emails but
> when I reply to messages and include the original message in the response I
> have to hit i to go into insert mode and then hit enter a couple of times to
> make space to type my reply. Is there somewhere I can automate this function
> so when I reply vim will already be in insert mode when it opens and insert a
> few blank lines for me?

I wouldn't do this, either, because replies should normally begin
after a trimmed version of the original message.  Nevertheless, I
think this will do what you want:

    set editor='vim -c '\''put=\"\n\n\"'\'' -c startinsert'

Add or delete \n as necessary to get the number of blank lines you
want.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division