composing emails

Ok this is really more of an annoyance then anything but none the less I was
hoping someone would be able to offer some assistance with this matter.

Mutt currently is configured to use vim for the editor to compose emails but
when I reply to messages and include the original message in the response I
have to hit i to go into insert mode and then hit enter a couple of times to
make space to type my reply. Is there somewhere I can automate this function
so when I reply vim will already be in insert mode when it opens and insert a
few blank lines for me?