Re: Mark messages in mailbox as read without massive performance hit?!

* Derek Martin <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:04:10AM +0100, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:
> > time mutt -f=TMP -e "push <quit>"
> > 3.899u 1.447s 0:14.93 35.6%     676+31507k 4828+0io 0pf+0w
>
> Also worth noting you're using high-end hardware.  500MB/15s =
> 33MB/s. That's pretty fast.  Are you using raid?  Certain
> configurations of raid will make reads quite fast, and writes
> comparatively slow.

And what about cache? Was the cache of the (HDD|fs) flushed in
between tests? Etc...

My desktop is a Nehemiah system (1 GHz) with a WD HDD, and since I
use ext3 I've turned off the HDD cache completely. Ever since I use
mutt (or mutt-ng ;-), mbox is the format of my choice, for various
reasons; lots of mailinglists (20+), thus large mailboxes :-), and
most of all, ease of backup.

However, I've recently run some performance tests with XFS and I must
say that I seriously consider using it on all my drives. I recommend
the OP runs such tests of his own. May it even be for future use at
first, setting up a fresh system is only a matter of time after all
;-)

--
left blank, right bald