Re: how to view MS files within mutt?

On 2005-12-22, phyrster <phyrster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12:07 Tue 20 Dec 2005, faxmodem@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:09:48AM +0800, phyrster wrote:
> > > I got a lot of MS files (Word and Excel) as attachments  in my messages. I
> > > have installed Openoffice 2.0 but everytime I have to manually save the
> > > attachment and then open them after using Oo.
> >
> > if you just want to see the text, I highly recommend using antiword for .doc
> > and xlhtml for .xls. Here's my ~/.mailcap entries:
> >
> > 8><----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > application/msword;antiword %s | less
> > application/vnd.ms-excel;xlhtml %s | html2text | less
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------><8
>
> Thank you. I put these two lines in my .mailcap but I still got the message
> " [-- application/octet-stream is unsupported (use 'v' to view this part)
> --]"
>
> I have installed antiword and xlhtml. Do I need to add anything into .muttrc
> as well?

Those two lines will let you view MS attachments from the attachment
menu, which you can get to by typing 'v'.  If you want to view those
attachments in-line, as you do normal messages, you'll need two
additional lines in your mailcap,

    application/msword;antiword %s | less
    application/msword;antiword %s; copiousoutput
    application/vnd.ms-excel;xlhtml %s | html2text | less
    application/vnd.ms-excel;xlhtml %s | html2text; copiousoutput

plus this line in your muttrc:

    auto_view application/msword application/ms-excel

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division