Re: Sending mail when away

Trey Sizemore <trey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At home I have Alltel as my ISP and use mutt to send/receive mail.  However,
> when I'm at work or out of state at my inlaws, for example, I want to
> continue to use mutt for both reading and responding to mail messages.
> However, I get errors when trying to send mail, because mutt (and my
> ~/.msmtprc file) is set up to use Alltel for SMTP (mail.alltel.net) which
> does not require authorization.  Hence, I get a failure when connected
> through Comcast, for example, because they won't relay mail.  How do I
> circumvent this?  Do I need to set up numerous SMTP servers for each
> location I visit?

Typical solutions include installing a real MTA that has whatever smarts it
needs to send your mail out, or having different scripts to invoke sending to
different smart hosts -- you then (manually or automatically) update a symlink
to point to whatever the current smart host should be, and configure mutt to
use that symlink.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                             <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPL'ed software available at:               http://pyropus.ca/software/