Re: Two manipulations I do a lot

Jean-Rene David wrote:

> >  Well, I find it a lot more convenient than
> >  saving to a temporary file.
>
> Actually you're right, it is easier.
>
> But given that I have a mapping in vim to save a
> visually selected area to a temp file and
> recuperate that file in another instance of vim,
> it's not much more of a hassle to do than copy and
> paste.
>
> I still think it could be easier, but thanks for
> the idea.

My solution is similar to cut-paste from a different mutt or saving to
a temporary file, but perhaps somewhat more convenient: I use emacs
with emacsclient, so mutt opens a new emacs window within a running
emacs process. That makes it easy to copy the buffer I'm working on
into a different buffer, start a new mail including the text I had
wanted to quote, and re-insert the first buffer.

Do vim or gvim have similar functionality where you can open
multiple files/buffers in one editor, and have an external program
open a new file in an existing vim process? I find it very convenient
as pretty much any text I'm working on will be opened in the same
editor process, allowing for easy (mouse-less) copy/paste actions.

Regards,
        Hein Zelle

--

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein