Re: Mbox on smb mount

Hi Robin,

On 14:42 Thu 10 Nov     , Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Robin Sommer <robinsommer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm running mutt on a Mac OS X 10.4 system. The file system which
> > contains my mbox folders is mounted via smb from a samba server
> > using mount_smbfs. Unfortunately, I can't get the mbox locking to
> > work in this setup.
>
> Mail access over SMB is just fundamentally broken, with any software.  If you
> can't get a straight NFS mount from that server (you said it's samba, not
> Windows, so why not?), access them via IMAP.

I don't know if this helps in your case, but in my case I
had to do these two things to make mbox in mutt work on a
FAT file system (no or very limited access right stuff and
file locking not working the way mutt wants it to do):

1. use --enable-buffy-size parameter with the configure
script. This changes the way mutt detects new mails in a
mbox file. Normally it compares access and last write time
stamb of the file. On FAT (and maybe in your case), there is
only one time stamp per file, so this won't work. The
parameter instead tells mutt to watch the file size of the
mbox file.

2. in config.h replace #define USE_DOTLOCK 1 by #undef
USE_DOTLOCK
This tells mutt not to use the dotlocking mechanism for file
locking (which does notw ork on FAT FSs).

daniel

--
Dipl.-Ing. Daniel Hertrich
Reichertshofen, Germany