way to timeout Invoking PGP when verifying signatures?

For every signed piece of mail i come across, gpg attempts to verify the signature. Sometimes the occurs almost instantly, other times it can lag big time.
Is there a way to have this auto timeout so that anything taking longer than
say a few seconds will just cough up the message and let me move on?

I can't imagine that everyone that uses sig verification puts up with this sort
of lag.  Thanks for any advise anyone might have.