sending attachments from commandline

I have done some googling, and understand that the following should
send a mail with attachments from the commandline without
interaction required from the shell.  Trouble is, I can't get it to
work.  I want to use a similar line in a script - the < /dev/null
gives me an empty message body which is fine, I just want the
attachment.

mutt -s "testing attachments" -a sample.txt troy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \
  < /dev/null

As soon as I take away the -a an argument, it works.
If I use an invalid recipient, I get an error message - so I figure
the mail is at least going somewhere.
When I execute the commandline with an attachment about 1Mb, there
is a slight pause after the command is executed - I assume this is
mutt attaching the file and sending it.

But it never seems to get delivered anywhere.  What am I missing?

--
Troy Piggins - Been a novice linux user since 1998
             - When do I become an expert?