Re: set sendmail_wait=-1, what happens on failure?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 02:57:55PM +0200, Hendrik Mangels wrote:
> Chris Green (2005-08-25, 13:44):
> > set sendmail_wait=-1
> >
> > So, what happens when the <somewhere> system is unreachable?
>
> ,----[ http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual/manual-6.html#sendmail_wait ]
> | [...]
> | Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the child
> process
> | will be put in a temporary file. If there is some error, you will be
> informed
> | as to where to find the output.
> `----

Yes, I read that, but I still don't really understand what happens.
Who/what informs me of "where to find the output" and when does it do
it?  If the connection is down for a long time (i.e. hours rather than
seconds, quite likely) what happens?  The mutt instance that tried to
send the mail may very well be long gone.

It's just happened to me in practice and the first indication I got
was people saying they hadn't received mails that I thought I had sent
several hours ago.  I don't want to wait for the sendmail to run but I
do want to know if the mail hasn't been sent within, say, five or ten
minutes.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."