Re: pop3 config question to avoid duplicate messages

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 11:38:02AM +0800, phyrster wrote:
> Fetchmail did get on my nerves sometimes. Especially its support of gmail is
> weak. I thougt it's maybe a 'bad-carpenter-blames-his-tools" thing so I
> haven't decided to switch to another client. After all, with the author's
> Cathedral and Bazaar approach, I presume fetchmail is virtually perfect.

There are critiques both ways; some folks don't like fetchmail. I found getmail
to be more straightforward to configure, and it hasn't failed me since I first
set it up.

> Will, what's good about getmail? why you chose it? You think the switch is
> necessary for me?

I like that getmail uses python (a language I'm familiar with). It's highly
portable and easier for me to dig into, although I haven't really needed to
(I've looked at the sources, but only out of academic interest). I don't know if
switching from MDA to MDA is a good or bad thing -- it depends heavily on your
environment. I've never heavily used fetchmail, so I can't make an in-depth
comparison, but I can tell you that getmail works great for me.

If you have more getmail questions, feel free to join the getmail users list[0].

Cheers.