Who can explain iconv-hook a little more?

In the manual, I've found some explanaiton about iconv-hook as
below:

==================
Usage: iconv-hook charset local-charset

The iconv-hook command defines a system-specific name for a
character set. This is helpful when your systems character
conversion library insists on using strange, system-specific
names for character sets.

But after reading it for several times, I feel a little ashamed
to admit that I still don't know what this command means, maybe
because of my poor English?

Can anybody explain what this command means? Many thanks.