Re: mutt, maildir and slowness...

Hello,

> When using mutt (1.5.8) with maildir format messages I experience
> a major preformance hit if, for instance, I've got lots of large
> messages.  To quote a particular example I quite often have a mailbox
> with a few hundred messages in it, a good number of which are a few
> hundred kilobytes in length (main box text, no attachments).  Within
> the message index/browser) whenever I move around there is a lot
> of disk activity and slowness, much slower then it used to be when
> I had a similar sized messages in a mbox format file.  My guess is
> that mutt is rescanning each message in their entireity, whereas
> it should be suffficient just to read until the header section is
> finished.  Is this something I can work around with an option, or is
> mutt just broken in this regard?

have a look at the maildir header cache for mutt[1]. I don't know if for
mutt-1.5.8 maildir inode sort is disabled or not. However if it isn't
and you use maildir header cache, disable it.

Don't forget to 'unset maildir_header_cache_verify'.

[1] http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/mutt/

        Thomas