Re: regex 101 misunderstanding

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at  8:27:28AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> Well, it does work.  Is 'Received:' really the header line you wish to
> use or is 'From:'?

In this particular instance, Received: is really what I'm looking for;
I was looking for Bcc'd mail to any of my internal aliases formed
by the addr+extension@xxxxxxxxxx convention.  And, yes, I know there
really is such a mail in the folder.

Sometimes I search for things in X-Diagnostic:, sometimes some other
header, perhaps even From: :)  The problem remains with any of them.

> Note: the regex *is* case sensitive.  'rec' will not match 'Rec'.

>From the manual, 4.1:
   "The search is case sensitive if the pattern contains at least
    one upper case letter, and case insensitive otherwise."
My Mutts all work as the manual says, at least as far as case goes.

> ~h Received.*columbus\.rr\.com
> and
> ~h Received.*mutt-users
>
> both work for me.

But I don't see any ``+'' characters in your examples; that's what I'm
trying to match.  Your examples work for me too, but unfortunately
they don't address the question at hand.

I assume because both Mutts I use seem to be compiled with Gnu regex
capability, that they'd know how to match an escaped plus sign.  It
seems to be such a simple, basic match that I'm really baffled that
I can't get it to work.  Hence my Subject line...

Jim