Re: ~O patterns are terribly inaccurate

* Brian Gerard <blists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-11-12 15:37]:

> "Old" messages are usually those which have the "O" flag set in the
> "Status:" header.  This status typically means that the message is
> currently unread and was unread last time the mailbox was closed and
> written.  (Eg - exiting mutt w/unread messages will switch them from
> showing as "N" to "O".)
>
> See
> http://www.expita.com/header1.html
> about halfway down the page for the description of this header and a
> list of possible values.  It's RFC2822 _compliant_, but not standard.
>
> If you didn't see this before switching ISPs, are you (or they) by
> chance doing any processing of the incoming messages on the new ISP's
> server?  I'm just wondering if the mail is passing through anything
> that might set the flag on its way to final delivery.

Thanks Brian.  I think you discovered my problem.  It does seem to be
the Status header that's screwing things up, and it was difficult to
analyze because mutt manipulates this header.  So I had to view my
mail in emacs from the different servers to see this.

New inbound mail from my current ISP has a "Status: O" header included
in every message, and it's present before I read the message in mutt.
There was no Status header field on inbound mail from my previous ISP,
and I didn't have this problem.

So now the question is, why is my ISP flagging my mail as old?  That's
what I need to look into.  I appreciate your help.