Re: 1/2 OT: mailbox protocols

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

> Well, just about any network filesystem can share a mailbox, and will
> work that way (NFS, AFS, Samba, AFP, etc.).

No, this doesn't work for me:

a) mbox locks are not really stable
b) too slow on large mbox'es
c) no locking of single mails
d) no active change-signalling (you just can check mtime and reread
   the whole mailbox)

I'm currently running several instances of mutt on one machine
(sharing via NFS makes trouble since locks are not really working here)

Well, perhaps some of the existing protocols like IMAP or POP3 already
provide what I desire, but I just dont know it ...

My requirements are:

* strong authentication + encryption w/ password and public key
* support for virtual hosting
* posting mails
* hierachical mailboxes
* single mail locking (for multiple access)
* fast header transfer (of the most-important headers)
* mail part access
* searching and tagging, also over multiple mailboxes
* mail uploading and moving between boxes
* compressed transfer
* active change notification (s->c message when watched box or mail changed)

Ideally a server for that supports:

* virtual folders (or better: directories with multiple links)
* mounting of folders and an API for virtual folder backends.
* multiple access and caching

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@xxxxxxxx