Re: 1/2 OT: mailbox protocols

On Sunday, October 24 at 06:53 PM, quoth Enrico Weigelt:
> sorry for the OT ...
>
> Does anyone know some good-working remote mailbox protocol
> (or sth which can be easily used for that) beside IMAP ?

Well, just about any network filesystem can share a mailbox, and will
work that way (NFS, AFS, Samba, AFP, etc.).

I'm sure you're expecting to be pointed to POP3, which doesn't have to
delete messages, so consider yourself pointed.

You can always go poking through /etc/services to see what's out there
in terms of established protocols. So... to do your work for you...

xns-mail (port 58)
        a 3com protocol that's *ages* old, and looks abandoned
ni-mail (port 61)
        no idea, neither google nor freshmeat are very helpful
mailq (port 174)
        no idea, neither google nor freshmeat are very helpful
mailbox-lm (port 505)
        no idea, neither google nor freshmeat are very helpful
activmail (ports 1296, 1397, 1398)
        the name seems to have been taken over by some company featuring
        smtp firewalling
lotus cc:mail (port 3264)
        proprietary, part of Lotus Notes
mcs-mail (port 3332)
        looks abandoned
openmail (port 5729)
        started by hp (www.hp.com/openmail), has since been discontinued
xmltec-xmlmail (port 9091)
        no idea

There's a few more, but I'll let you research them by yourself. Other
things I found along the way:
* MAPI
        developed by Microsoft and built into Exchange. Exchange 2000
        greatly expanded the supported services, notably with MAPI-compliant
        LDAP. Simple MAPI was removed from Exchange 2003.

End result:

There are two other mailbox access protocols that I'm aware of---the one
that Lotus Notes uses, and the ones that high-end MS Exchange Server's
use. Other than that, you're stuck with either POP3 or IMAP4.

Out of curiosity, why? Are you unsatisfied with IMAP in some way?

~Kyle
--
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is
bacteria.