Re: Mutt inserting escape characters

Hi,

At  5:46 AM PDT on September 20 Ionel Mugurel Ciobica sent off:
> On 20-09-2004, at 14h 03'50", David Dombrowsky wrote about "Mutt inserting
> escape characters"
> > Could someone tell me why mutt seems to insert escape
> > characters into a message I have set to use a display
> > filter?  For example, if my message contains a line
> > starting with a pipe character (|), it comes through
> > as the following
> >
> > <ESC>[0m| Hello world

> Switch off all color|video attribute definitions, or convince mutt you
> are on a terminal that doesn't know colors.

Does mutt really colorize before sending to the display_filter?  It would
make more sense to colorize the output of the display_filter, avoiding the
above problem and also colorizing based on what the reader will see.

In my brief experience with display filters, the coloring seems to be done
after filtering, but the coloring can come out strangely.  For example:

http://www.drao.nrc.ca/~rreid/software/mutt/pprfilter.png

Mutt appears to think the first lines are a signature, and colors them red.
(In the original version of pprfilter there were no blank lines in the
 output, and everything was colored red.  IIRC, it is set to consider blank
 lines as terminating signatures.)

--
"Outlook, the exploding Pinto on the information superhighway."
  - Sean Donelan, nanog