Mutt inserting escape characters

Could someone tell me why mutt seems to insert escape
characters into a message I have set to use a display
filter?  For example, if my message contains a line
starting with a pipe character (|), it comes through
as the following

<ESC>[0m| Hello world

This breaks the scrips which check things like GPG
signitures, even though the raw message checks just fine.

I've looked through the docs and can't find any way to
turn this thing off.  The only solution is to use sed in
my display filter and get rid of those escapes.

Any ideas?

-Dave