Re: unicode body search fails, squares in subjects

Thank you very much for your answer.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 01:52:40PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Tuesday, August 17, 2004 at 8:38:18 PM +0200, Alexandros Droseltis
>  wrote:
>
> > in a UTF-8 locale [...] I can read and write greek and german [but]
> > body-search (/~b) fails (also when it shouldn't) when the search
> > pattern has greek or special german characters;
>
>     You must search UTF-8 patterns in bodies that are decoded and
> converted to UTF-8. Setting $thorough_search should do it (at expense
> of a little processor time).

Works fine!

> > some subject lines from greek/german mails consist of squares
> > instead of the greek/special german characters
>
>     Very probably bad raw 8 bits "Subject:" without charset indication.
> The sending mailer is at fault (should use RFC 2047 encoding for Greek
> or umlauts in headers). It would be nice to warn the sender and perhaps
> advice him about "allow 8 bits chars in headers" that must be unchecked
> in MSOE. If it's MSOE.
>
>     You will need the $assumed_charset feature of the JA-patch by
> Takashi Takizawa at <URL:http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/download14.html>.
> Then set a different $assumed_charset value depending on language. Say
> you have Greek mails everywhere, and German mails in specific folder(s):
>
> | folder-hook . "set assumed_charset=iso-8859-7"
> | folder-hook german\\.mbox$ "set assumed_charset=iso-8859-1"

I compiled mutt (1.4 and 1.5) with JA-patch (1.4 and 1.5), applying the
lines you suggested, but it didn't work.[1]

The most of these messages come from webmail clients. When opening them
(pager), the squares become lines like \361\345\360 etc. Any idea?

Thank you too, for the other suggestions concerning the locale and
.muttrc.

Best Regards

Alexandros

[1] I also had an other problem using the patched mutt: after composing
a message, saving it caused "Segmentation fault" to mutt.

--
Census Taker to Housewife: Did you ever have the measles, and, if so,
how many?