Recent X11 errors ???

Recently, when mutt shells out to do things -- especially, to compose
messages with vim -- I am seeing the following errors:

    _X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
    _X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
    _X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/bragi:0

What does this mean?  Why is it happening?  What can I do about it?

I cannot be certain; but, over the weekend, I noticed several dozen of
those when I manually shelled out (e.g., `!<enter>'), and a short while
later, that mutt session froze completely.  It appeared to accept no
keyboard attempts at all, and I killed its process.  Is this necessarily
related to the errors above?  I do not know.

Also, I recently upgraded to:

    Mutt 1.5.6+20040818i (CVS)

What do you think?

--