A minor annoyance with key bindings

Good evening all,

This isn't really a big deal, but it has bugged me for quite awhile. if
I start mutt and press "q", it quits as expected. This happens
regardless of whether I'm viewing mailboxes or change the view by
tabbing to directories. However, once I've entered a mailbox, and then
return to mailbox or directory view, pressing "q" brings up a "Open
mailbox: " prompt. Checking the help screen shows "q" is bound to "quit
this menu" and binding <f2> to "what-key" and then pressing "q" shows
"q" correctly.

Does anybody know what is going on here, or am I mis-understanding
something.

mutt 1.5.6i

Thanks,
John

--
50 percent of the electorate think that polls are misleading, inaccurate
and inconclusive. The other 50 percent agree 30 percent of the time with