cannot send attachment from command line

I'm running Mutt 1.4.2.1 on Solaris 8 (sparc).  I can use mutt to successfully
send an email with an attachment if I use the menu, but if I try to send an
email with an attachment by typing:

mutt -a /path/attachmentname -s "subject line" user@xxxxxxxxxx <
/path/messagefile

the user@domain receives the email message but with no attachment.  Can you
tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Penny.

Confidentiality Note:  The information contained in this e-mail and/or
document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named above and
may contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
e-mail or its contents in any way.  If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender of this e-mail message immediately.