Prettier folder_format for imap folders?

Is there any way to tidy up the folder format for imap folders? Specifically,
is there any way to produce an abbreviated version of %f? The trouble is %f
produces the entire imap folder path, e.g:

  imaps://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX/mutt

and I find this kind of long and unwieldy. Especially since all my mail boxes
are accessed via imap, so all the entries in the folder list look very similar
and are hard to distinguish at a glance. I'd like to be able to abbreviate it
to something like:

  domain/mutt

Reading the mutt manual, it seems %f is the only string that includes the
folder name, and as far as I know there's no way to read folder_format from a
script. I'm not really sure what else to look for.

Thanks in advance,

Toby Cubitt
--
PhD student