Charset problem mutt-vim

Hello!
I have some problems regarding charset conversion.
This began when I upgraded my OS to SuSE 9.1 from 9.0. SuSE is since
version 9.1 all unicode (utf-8).
When I replay to a mail with charset set to latin1, the chars
specific to the swedish language (å, ä, ö etc) are displayed as,
what I belive is, the unicode representation of named chars. ie the
char "Ä" is displayed as "¤" etc. If I, for instance, write a subject
line containing any of these chars and when the mail opens up in
vim they are all converted according to the above. But if I postpone
the mail and continues with it later the chars are displayed
correctly. At first I thought it was a problem only with vim, but I
discovered that when I open a file in vim or gvim that has
fileencoding=latin1 it is displayed correctly and a meѕsage is
displayed in the staus line saying that the document is converted.
How come that doesn't happen when I use vim as mail editor?

--
Sören Edzen, Sweden