Re: problem with external programs

* "F. Heitkamp" <heitkamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-08-21 16:04 -0400]:
> happening is that the temporary file (tempfile) is getting deleted before
> the external program can use it or the tempfile name is incorrect. For
> example the tempfile is "mutt-pc1-24395-68" but the external program wants
> "mutt-pc1-24395-69".

Please show us, how you discovered this.

> In more detail one of the changes I made is that I have changed
> mutt_system a bit to:
>
>     err_ret = execl (EXECSHELL, "sh", "-c", cmd, NULL);
>     if( err_ret == -1 )
>     {
>         sprintf( buff, "Error executing \"%s\"", cmd );
>         perror(buff);
>     }

You should tell us, what version of mutt your using, what patches you
have applied and a diff instead of this fragment would be much more
useful -- except you want everybody who does not know _mutt_system by
heart to look it up.

> When I run mutt invoking vim I get.
> Error executing "/usr/bin/vim '/tmp/mutt-pc1-24854-1'": No such file or
> directory

execl() failed with "No such file or directory", I think that means
that EXECSHELL does not exist. What shows ls -l EXECSHELL?

Nicolas (who should have gone to bed some hours ago)