locale problem

Hello.

I'm using mutt in Gentoo, stable branch.
Terminal I use in X is gnome-terminal. It seems to support UTF-8 fine.
My locale settings are as follow:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

What should I set mutt's charset to? It's currently set to "iso-8859-1".
I live in Brazil, and receive loads of accented messages.
I checked some messages I received, and it seems to define its charset
fine using a "content-type" header.
However, accented characters show as a "?" in the index view, and show
as "\341" (for example) on the pager view.
Outgoing messages seem to be working fine (no one complained as far).

Thanks for any advice.

--
Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora          | Email: bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ: 1406477